Monday, September 20, 2010

Myx Bash 2010

So for those who are not familiar with Myx, it is a music and lifestyle channel for Asian Americans. This year in conjunction with Comcast they formed the first Myx Bash 2010 in May and I unfortunately missed it so I watched it yesterday on the myx channel. So the event is a concert catering to the Asian American community with performers Bruno Mars (Puerto Rican and Filipino decent), Poreotics crew (all of them Asian Americans and winner of America's Best Dance Crew Season 5), Brown Eyed Girls (famous Korean pop female group), and T-Pain. How after going through the list your probably thinking why the hell T-Pain is in there? Well according to the press conference, the Asian American community has established him as part of the community so he called himself "Blackenese" Now when I heard that being Chinese myself I was thinking to myself there are people out there who are mixed with African and Chinese but T-Pain is not Chinese. He also says that he loves the Asian culture, and so I was thinking what aspect of the culture is he talking to himself? Could it be because of "yellow fever" meaning that Asians are seen as sexy/exotic which ties to being Oriental and that Asians especially women are obedient and will do whatever is asked. Although he didn't say that he loved Asian women I was just wondering about that in the back of my mind.
The show was really good and it also paved a way for Korean pop music to be experienced by other Asian Americans who haven't heard about that. Besides the Wonder Girls I'm pretty sure most Asian Americans don't know any other Korean pop groups or artists so the event helped establish this kind of music. I believe that Korean pop music is going mainstream and that it's kind of becoming an Asian American thing because you see the Korean artists sell their albums on itunes and actually doing very good on the charts so it makes you wonder if the Asian American community has embraced this kind of music, but then again Korean pop music is heavily influenced by African American music mainly hip-hop, which of course started in America and to be more specific in the east coast meaning New York but people may argue about it being from the west coast (that's a whole different topic to go over). But my point is that a large amount of the Asian American population is accepting Korean pop music and I am one of the population and I am spreading the music by dancing to the songs by adding hip-hop elements. I hope Korean pop music makes it mainstream and for the genre of music to strive for bigger goals.

-Timmon Li AA TEAM

No comments:

Post a Comment