Thursday, October 21, 2010

iron chef!

This is really late but im gonna talk about the iron chef challenge.  So we picked the country Malaysia, which was really good, because other members of my group wanted to pick Malaysia, and because my mom’s side of the family is from Malaysia.       We split up the edutainment part of the presentation.  Mine was easy because I had the reason for immigrating to America part with Chris and some personal stories to help back up the stories.  Ok so first, we had to discuss the type of foods to make or Americanize, so I called my mom and asked her for any ideas and she came up with curry chicken.  So, I had her send me a pack of authentic real Malaysian curry paste.  Then my group had to buy groceries.  Jessica had a car so we got to go to 99 Ranch Market, and Safeway which was fun because I’ve personally never ever been or heard of a Safeway in my life.  So that was a good experience that I shared with my team.  We ended up buying chicken, onions, and coconut milk for the curry chicken.

Then, on the day before the competition, it was showtime for me.   I had to cook the curry chicken for the first time after watching my mom cook it so many times that I couldn’t count and man! Did she make it look easy.  The oil for the chicken kept popping and I had multiple burns on my hand, but hey, I had to take one for the team.  After, it was getting late, so we decided to eat dinner together at Jessica’s apartment.  We had some extra curry paste, and coconut oil, so I made another batch of curry chicken and the girls made something really good with coconut oil and lettuce.  All in all, it was an awesome day and I got to know my group members really well and we are a pretty good team now =].

Peace, Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment