Friday, October 22, 2010

story of the finger kowtow

Last week, my family came to visit me all the way from Los Angeles for Columbus Day weekend.  It was really fun because I got to see my dad, brother, and grandparents again.  Also because I got to see my beautiful car again.  I couldn’t bring it with me because its hard to find parking spots around San Fran, and because I’m afraid to drive up the hills.  My dad and brother stayed for a day and my grandparents stayed for three because they have a lot of friends in this area, so I decided to tag along with them after my classes would end so I could be with them.  We went to all these Chinese restaurants and I realized something….  Why do Chinese people tap the table when someone else is pouring tea into their cups?  I did a little researching and found out it was an expression of gratitude.
It was invented during the Qing dynasty under the rule of the Qianlong Emperor.  He liked to travel incognito a lot.  Once, in a tea house with some friends of his, in order to conceal his secret, he took his turn to pour tea for everyone on the table.  His friends wanted to kowtow, which was like when you bow to the emperor, for it was a great honor to have the emporer to pour tea for you to drink, but couldn’t because it would give away the emperors secret.  Thus, the finger kowtow was invented.  The middle finger represented the bowed head and the two other fingers represent the arms.

Peace, Brandon =]

No comments:

Post a Comment